Wednesday, July 4

All–American Birdhouse


All-American Birdhouse Front View Distressed w text
Say “Hello” to the newest addition to my Patriotic Mantel. This patriotic paint scheme is so fitting for this sweet little birdhouse. Don't you agree? 

You see, I have a soft spot for little wooden birdhouses so when I came across this fantastic Pin on Pinterest, I had to find out more! 

Screen Shot Pinterest Birdhouse
Laura at House of Joyful Noise created this beautiful little Birdhouse. She captured the patriotic spirit of the holiday so perfectly and inspired me to pick up my paintbrush and create one of my own.

I also took some time to look around her site and Oh My Goodness did I find a new place for inspiration! You must stop over and see where her American Birdhouse found its home and check out some of her DIY projects, Furniture Refinishing projects and Recipes. Make sure to tell Laura "Hi" while your there and tell her I sent ya (wink)!


I have quite a collection of unfinished wooden Birdhouses (I actually have the same one Laura used for her project) and always end up picking up a few new ones (usually at Michael’s in the $1 bin) even though I probably don’t need anymore! I usually Mod Podge my Birdhouses with either fabric or paper and haven’t painted one in a long time. I guess that’s why this project was so much fun.

All-American Birdhouse w instant frame color text
Doesn't she just make you want to sing a Patriotic Song!!


All-American Birdhouse Back View Final

Here’s a quick tutorial on how I made my Birdhouse… 

All-American Supply Collage2

1.) I painted the wooden birdhouse with White Acrylic Craft Paint. It took a couple of coats to cover completely. Let paint dry overnight.

2.) The next day, I used my Cricut and some scrap vinyl to cut out the stars and stripes (only had white scrap pieces handy so it’s hard to see them in the pictures against white paint). If you don’t have a cutting machine you can use a stencil and cut out by hand.

3.) I placed the vinyl where I wanted it and painted each side (Acrylic Red and Blue Paint was leftover from my Uncle Sam project and the White Acrylic Craft Paint I had in my stash).

4. ) Once paint has dried completely (let mine dry overnight), I removed vinyl and touched up a few spots. Then lightly sanded edges for a distressed look (optional).

Note: Since my Birdhouse will stay inside I didn’t seal with any type of wax or sealant. If placed outside I would recommend sealing to protect against the weather.  

What do you think?? Isn’t this a fun and patriotic project??

All-American Birdhouse 3 View Collage

Okay, humor me with just one more picture…

All-American Birdhouse

This sweet little Birdhouse is perch up on our Patriotic Mantle and she is looking good!

Pictures of our Patriotic Mantel should be posted tomorrow so make sure to come back by and take a look. I can’t wait to show you the super simple Stars and Stripes Banner I made.

Thanks for stopping by my Nest….

Simpy AJ Signature w flower







I’m linking up to several parties listed on my sidebar…. Stop by and check out the fun!

Made-by-you-Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Made with Love Monday @Sew Chatty
Make the Scene Monday @Alderberry Hill
Get Your Craft On @Today’s Creative Blog
Tuesday Confessional @Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy
Trick or Treat Tuesday @Inside BruCrew Life
Uncommonly Yours Link Party @Uncommonly Yours...
Linkin' with Lil' Luna @Lil Luna
Whimsy Wednesdays @The NY Melrose Family

3 comments:

  1. Love your patriotic bird house. They'd look great dotted around the garden. Hope your having a lovely week. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! The stars look great. I love the way the front looks. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this patriotic birdhouse design idea. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!I Thank you so much for stopping by my Nest!