Saturday, July 2

Patriotic Rag Wreath


To complete my patriotic tribute on my front porch, I made this Rag Wreath. I just love, love, love how it turned out!! I got my inspiration (once again) from one of my favorite crafty ladies… Krystal @ Sassy Sanctuary

I will tell you upfront that this project is V-E-R-Y labor intensive but I think it is sooooo worth it!! I should have planned ahead and allowed a little more time so I could have had it finished earlier in the week.  Lesson learned and I will be ready for the next one!

Following Krystal’s lead, I picked up four (4) different fabrics – 2 yards each. To get the best play of color and pattern, I bought a solid, stripe and two prints. 

Now, here’s where the fun begins. I cut each fabric into 1 in by 6 in strips (I didn't quite use all of the fabric - probably could have made it work with 1.5 yards of each). I used my pinking shears and clipped the ends for more of a finished look.

Fabric Samples

Okay, now that I have sliced my finger(s) * yes, twice - ouch* and have a nasty blister on my thumb from my pinking shears  *need another band-aid*… the fabric is ready!

Using a 4-ring wire wreath from Hobby Lobby I began the process of tying the fabric. I alternated the fabric making sure to tie a very tight knot. I only tied one knot but Krystal did double knots to make sure it stayed tied.

Here’s the deal… the wreath will grow rings. Seriously, I think mine had 100 rings instead of 4! You will tie, and tie, and tie for days and days!! This is my lame attempt at taking a picture to show you the knot process... bad photo sorry!

Frame

Next, I tied the twine to the inside wire(s) in a zig-zag type pattern. 

Then, I made a pendant banner from card stock using the PDF file that Krystal shared on her post here.

I printed the letter banner, cut them out and added adhesive by running them through my Xyron label maker. I mounted half of the letter onto a thin cardboard triangle, position my twine (l-o-v-e my Twinery twine – used Marachino Cherry) on the fold and squeezed together.  Repeated until all the letters were hung onto the twine. 



I bought a door hanger (Hobby Lobby) and measured from the hook to the wreath to decide how long my ribbon should be (decided on 5 1/2 inches). Secured ribbon to wreath, made a loop to hook onto hanger, then tied a bow.

                                            Just hang and enjoy!

Please pop over to Krystal’s blog and check out her 4th of July Rag Wreath and while you are there you must check out her Summer Mantel… WOW so beautiful! While you are visiting please take a minute to leave her some blog love and tell her that AJ sent you over!

This wreath pattern has such possibilities for holidays, change of season and even for football season (yes, in the south we fly our colors anyway we can). I already have another wreath project on the drawing board but I need to pick up some more band-aids first.

Didn't "Uncle Sam" turn out AWESOME!!! Check out my post for "Uncle Sam" porch art. I will be adding a tutorial for this cute little man so check back soon for details!

Thanks for stopping by… I appreciate it very much!

Until next time…
Simply AJ


** Don't forget to leave me a comment letting me know you stop by and if you have a blog let me know so I can pop over for a visit!!



Linking to the following parties:









monogram

summer party series button

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I'm your newest follower!

    I am hosting a summer party series link party all summer long! I'd love for you to come and share! It starts on fridays but runs all week long! http://sweetcsdesigns.com/archives/1091

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks GREAT!!!! So funny, your front step looks almost exactly like mine! Yes, the rag wreaths are very labor intensive but so worth it. I'm so glad you made one! (Can't wait to see more!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rag wreath and Uncle Sam look great! I didn't get around to decorating my porch for the 4th this year so I'll have to keep this in mind for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a thing for wreaths & this one is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!I Thank you so much for stopping by my Nest!